Greenhouse gases and Carbon Dioxide (CO2) are released into the Earth’s atmosphere. They are held around the Earth like a blanket therefore warming the planet and causing the climate and ocean temperatures to rise. Over the past 50 years temperatures have risen at the highest rate in history.
What are the Effects of Global Warming
Global warming has caused numerous effects on the Earth’s climate. It not only endangers the environments, it also poses a threat to species.
Here is a list of following effects of global warming:
1) Rising of Sea Levels: A rise in temperature cause polar ice caps and glaciers to melt, which can cause a rise in sea levels and warmer waters.
2) Spreading of Diseases: Diseases like Malaria, cholera and Dengue fever are climate sensitive. Therefore a rise in temperature can increase the chances of infections and transmissions of such diseases.
3) Droughts: Global warming can cause a further rise in temperature on some of Earth’s warmer countries and consequently resulting in droughts.
4) Destruction of Ecosystems: As Earth’s temperature rise, animal’s that are used to living in the colder parts of the world are exposed to warmer weather. This can cause animal life to shrink, migrate or adapt therefore effecting the environment.
How can we Prevent Global Warming
1) Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: Reduce garbage by choosing reusable products like – products with minimum packaging. Recycle paper, plastic, glass, newspaper and aluminium.
2) Drive Smart: Save gas as well as the release of emissions by walking more. Remember, by saving a gallon of gas you can help keep 20 pounds of CO2 out of the atmosphere.
3) Plant a Tree: Plants absorb CO2 and produce oxygen. Planting a tree can help because there are too few of them to balance the increases of CO2.
4) Eat Green: How much of the food in your grocery store is imported from across the world? Transportation is a major contributor of greenhouse gases, so by eating locally grown food you can help reduce its emissions.
5) Use Less Heat and Air Conditioning: Use less air conditioning and heat, even 2 degrees lower in winter and 2 degrees higher in summer can make a big difference.
6) Save Electricity: Turn off the lights, television, computer or any other electrical devices when you leave a room, or when you are not using them. Also turn off the water when you are not using it (like while brushing your teeth). This is a simple social fix which can make a significant difference.
7) Use Less Hot Water- Simple social fix’s like setting your water heater at 120 degrees, using low flow shower heads, washing your clothes in warm/ cold water or using the energy saving setting on your dishwasher can go a long way.
8) Inform others: Inform family, friends and coworkers about how they can reduce their carbon footprint by following the tips above.
Erin Emanuel is a web enthusiastic and ingenious blogger who loves to write articles and blogs. She has written several interesting pieces of content regarding offset carbon footprint, global warming and other green living ideas.
3 Comments on “What can we do to Stop Global Warming?”
We agree, we all need to do our part. Check out what our two young founders are doing: http://onemoregeneration.org/2013/06/23/please-switch-to-more-renewable-energy/
I have checked the link it is awsome