Water is the most abundant compound on Earth’s surface,Covering about 70%,In Nature it exist in Solid,liquid and gaseous state.Like many substances water can take numerous forms that are broadly categorized by phase of matter,The liquid phase is most common of its other phases,Water has the second highest specific heat capacity as well as high heat of vaporization.
We can say that it is the essential compound for living being,due to its broad spectrum properties,usage and benefits in every aspect of life its importance cant be neglected.
Also See: Drinking Water Quality In Pakistan
Now a day a phrase “water crises” taken up into the minds of every person in this universe,shortage of water,deaths due to water born diseases,water usage for industries and many more creating a hype among the people and creating ecological imbalance,hydrological imbalance and many other problems for the environment and for living beings.
There are some amazing,interesting and shocking facts and figures about water as below:
- 3.575 Million people die each year from a water related disease,this is equal to the entire city of LOS ANGELES
- 884 Million people lack access to clean water that’s almost 3 times the united states population
- Every 20 seconds,A child dies from a water-born illness
- Women spend 200 million hours a day collecting water
- The water and sanitation crisis claims more lives through disease than any war claims through guns.
- People living in the slums often pay 5-10 times more per liter of water than wealthy people living in the same city.
- An American taking a five-minute shower uses more water than a typical person in a developing country slum uses in a whole day
- 43% of water related deaths are due to diarrhea
- A typical individual in the United States uses 500 litres of water each day.
- As little as one dollar can provide clean water for a child in the developing world for an entire year
- Simple washing hands can decrease the chance of diarrhea by around 35%
- Global sales of bottled water account for over 60$-80$ billion each year
- Drilling a fresh water well can cost anything from a few hundred dollars over $40,000.
- It takes up to 5000litres of water to produce 1kg rice.
- The average dishwasher uses over 100 litres per cycle.
- It takes over 11,000 litres of water to produce a pound of coffee.
- It takes about 300 litres of water to make the paper for just one sunday newspaper.
- Agriculture is responsible for about 70% of the world’s water usage.Industry uses a further 22%
- Over 90% of the world’s supply of fresh water is located in Antarctica.
- Less than 1% of the water supply on earth can be used as drinking water.
- Human brains are 75% water.
- Human bones are 25% water.
- Human blood is 83% water.
- 75% of a chicken is water.
- 80% of a pineapple is water.
- 95% of a tomato is water.
- 70% of an elephant is water.
- Each day the sun evaporates a trillion tons of water.
- A single tree will give off 265 liters (70 gallons) of water per day in evaporation.
- An acre of corn will give off 15,000 litres (4,000 gallons) of water per day in evaporation.
- A small drip from a faucet can waste as much as 75 litres of water a day.
- The amount of water we deliver on a hot summer day, 308 million litres (80 million gallons), could fill 1.28 billion cups of coffee.
- Water leaves the stomach five minutes after consumption.
- Two thirds of the water used in a home is used in the bathroom.
- Today, at least 400 million people live in regions with severe water shortages.
- To manufacture new cars 148,000 litres (39,000 gallons) of water are used per car.