Considering the impact we have on the environment, it is best to adopt eco-friendly ways to be more responsible. Switching to clean and green alternatives is certainly the way to go.
If you’ve been receiving high energy bills lately and are looking for a way to reduce it, you’ve come to the right place. We can install renewable heating systems like air source heat pumps (ASHPs) to reduce carbon emissions and produce clean energy.
What’s that about?
ASHP heating is extremely efficient at absorbing heat from the ambient air (even at temperatures below -20°C) and distributing it evenly in your home. Heat generated in ASHPs is delivered to the underfloor heating system, radiators and warm air convectors. It offers comfortable living temperatures along with catering to your hot water requirements.
But with every new installation, it is best to take into account the pros and cons to make an informed decision. In this piece, we will discuss the benefits and the drawbacks of air source heat pump installation. Click here to find out more!
But first, let’s take a look at how it functions.
How does it work?
The internal workings of an air source heat pump can directly be compared to that of a refrigerator but in reverse. A refrigerator absorbs heat from the internal space and releases it in the ambient air. Similarly, an ASHP system extracts heat from the external air and delivers it in the internal space to make it warm.
Of course, there are equipment and mechanisms like refrigerants, coils and a system unit involved to carry out the functions but this is how the system works!
Now, let’s take a look at the pros and cons.
Pros of ASHP installation
Mentioned below is an extensive list of the advantages of air source heat pump installation:
- Low carbon footprint
- Can be powered alternatively by solar or wind energy instead of electricity
- When compared to traditional heating systems, ASHPs can deliver heat at temperature below -20°C
- If qualified, you can receive subsidies from the government under the RHI scheme by producing your own heat
- Hot water heating can be done for both immediate and later use with ASHP heating
- Because you consume less energy given the efficiency of the system, you will save more on energy bills
- ASHP installation can last for a long time. With proper maintenance and care, the system can last for more than two decades.
- Only a few days are required to install an air source heat pump
- Maintenance check is required only once a year by an experienced technician
- ASHP systems provide both heating and cooling functionalities so it is useful in both summer and winter
- No consumption of fuels is required by the system as it uses air which is a renewable source of energy.
- The heating system is more efficient in summer due to its impressive Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio (SEER)
Cons of ASHP installation
The cons associated with ASHP installation are mentioned below:
- Larger radiators will be required because with these heat pumps, the heat supply is comparatively lower than the traditional systems
- These installations work better with underfloor heating systems coupled with large radiators
- If you primarily depend on gas mains then air source heat pumps are perhaps not the best option for you
- If there’s no access to wind or solar energy, the system will require electricity to function
- If you want to reap the benefits of high energy savings, you need to ensure that your home is sufficiently insulated to prevent loss of heat energy
- ASHP systems are a bit noisy when they are running, just like an air conditioning unit
- The system is slightly less efficient in the colder months due to low levels of coefficient of performance or COP
The Bottom Line
If done correctly, air source heating can provide great value for money even to the extent where the system pays for itself. To ensure that you receive a great return on investment, it is important that you have a well-insulated home, specifically with good loft insulation. This will ensure that there’s no heat loss which will pave way for more consistent heating even in the colder months.
Hire professional heat pump fitters for better results!